STA 2016 Annual Meeting:
The Future of Anesthesiology and
Innovation in Perioperative Care
January 6-9, 2016
18.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Four Seasons Resort
Palm Beach, Florida
The Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA) 2016 Annual Meeting will provide a forum for discussion of the future of anesthe- siology and innovation in perioperative care through information technology for perioperative medicine and big data, advances in respiratory monitoring, the perioperative surgical home and clinical applications of 3D printing.
This live activity is designated for a national and international audience of physicians, engineers and industry members, as well as other practitioners in the field of anesthesia seeking an update on the current and future state of anesthesia technology.
As a result of participation in this CME activity, learners should be able to:
- Discuss how anesthesia technology fits into major structural changes within the healthcare landscape
- Examine current problems facing anesthesiologists that can be addressed with technology, including quality improvement, outcome tracking and advances in inhalational agent monitoring
- Review cutting-edge research in the field of anesthesia technology
- Discuss the current state of perioperative surgical home (PSH)and how technology can be used to achieve PSH goals
- Discuss the peer-review process and how to be an effective reviewer for a scientific journal
- Networking for mentees and mentors, with didactic workshop to discuss mentorship
- Explore current and future clinical applications for 3D printing: medical device design, anatomic models and procedure planning and bioprinting
- Investigate current big data applications designed to track anesthesia outcomes
- Integrating valid scientific evidence and cutting-edge technology into daily clinical practice
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accredita- tion Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Institute for the Advancement of Hu- man Behavior (IAHB) and the Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA). IAHB is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement:
Abstracts and Engineering Challenge:
Bimal Desai, MD is the Chief Medical Information Officer at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he is a practicing pediatric hospitalist and Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. In addition, he is a member of the Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics at CHOP, faculty affiliate in the Warren Center for Network & Data Sciences, and a faculty member in the Institute for Biomedical Informatics at the University of Pennsylvania.
As a 2014 graduate of the CHOP and DreamIt Health “Open Canvas” innovation accelerator, he co-founded Haystack Informatics, whose data visualization, social network analysis and anomaly detection platform helps hospitals to ensure patient privacy in the electronic health record. Bimal received his medical training at Washington University in St. Louis, MO; completed his residency and chief residency in pediatrics at CHOP; and received a masters degree in biomedical informatics from Oregon Health & Science University. He is board certified in both pediatrics and clinical informatics and is a faculty lecturer for the American Medical Informatics Association Clinical Informatics Board Review Course, now in its 3rd year.
When he’s not actively involved in healthcare geekery, he loves photography, cooking and pretending he’s good at DIY projects. He lives in West Philadelphia with his wife, Naomi, and twin first-graders, Sam and Mauli.
- STA Member Registration: $475 (by 11/17), $500 (by 12/14), $575 (after 12/14)
- Non-Member Registration: $575 (by 11/17), $600 (by 12/14), $675 (after 12/14)
*Non-Member fee includes 1 year of membership to qualifying physicians.
- Resident Registration: $50 (fee does not increase)
*You MUST be current on your membership for 2016 to receive the member discount.
Four Seasons Resort
2800 Ocean Blvd
Palm Beach, FL
Room Rate: $299/night
Reservation Deadline: December 16, 2015